As we wrap up the summer our time at the beach, on picnics with the kids, and around pool chemicals has probably performed a number on our skin. There are tons of tips out there on the internet on how to take care of your skin. Here are some of the best ones from skin care professionals.
- Lather on the sunscreen – about a 1/2 teaspoon (about enough to fill the hollow of your palm) is a great way to make sure you have enough to cover your head (face, neck, and ears – guys, remember to allow a little more if you haven’t shaved recently).
- Don’t skip breakfast – including almonds in your breakfast is a great way to get fatty acids that are essential to skin health. Eating this with breakfast is a great way to get the protection started early.
- De-stress to avoid skin distress – take a nap, meditate, anything that reduces your stress, even for 10 minutes, helps reduce the hormones that aggrivate skin conditions (sometimes leading to more stress).
- Frozen veggies are good for you (even if you don’t eat them) – bags of frozen peas can be a great way to reduce selling and inflammation around the eyes. Bags of frozen peas may conform to the contours of your face better than some ice-packs. But avoid excessive and direct contact. Wrap it in light fabric.
- Avoid Impact – high impact cardio exercise like running/jogging weakens collagen, so stick to cycling or elliptical machines for your workouts.
- Yoga’s not just for flexibility – it also improves circulation, an important aspect to cleansing the skin and reducing inflammation (and that stress we talked about in #3)
- Control your Sugars – the process the body uses to break down sugars damages collagen which the body uses to keep skin firm and toned.
- Avoid Sodium – salts contribute to inflammation. Some diet soda’s have as much as 25 to 50 mg per can.
- Drink Tea – both green and black teas contain theaflavins that helps prevent the breakdown of collagen.
- Develop a routine – good habits are born from repetition. Make your skin care part of your morning and evening routines.
For more tips like these and information on It Works! products sign up for our newsletter.
[yks-mailchimp-list id=”57b3397128″ submit_text=”Submit”]